Can Dogs Eat Applesauce? What’s So Good About It?
Is it safe for dogs to eat applesauce? Absolutely! Applesauce is a type of sauce made from pureed apples. It has nutritional benefits and you can use it as an occasional treat or add it to your dog’s diet, as long as consumed in moderation.
What Kind of Applesauce Can Dogs Eat
The best kind of applesauce to feed your dog is the unsweetened kind. Unsweetened applesauce is the safest and healthiest option you can buy as it doesn’t contain added sugar. You can also opt to make your own homemade applesauce.
All you need are two simple ingredients to make your homemade applesauce: water and apples!
Here are four simple steps on how to make your very own applesauce.
- In a large pot, combine 3 lbs of apple slices with 1/2 cup of water. Make sure to remove the apple core and apple seeds.
- Next, for a little bit of flavor, you may add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or honey
- Mix all the ingredients together and cook them for twenty minutes on medium heat.
- Finally, once the apples are cooked, you can purée them in a blender so the consistency will turn into a smooth and creamy texture. Put it in a container and then the fridge to let it chill.
Easy peasy, right? Remember that the best kinds of applesauce are made from organic apples.
Can dogs eat cinnamon applesauce? Yes, you can also give your dog cinnamon applesauce as long as it’s made by you. As much as possible you’ll want to avoid store-bought applesauce because they usually contain unnecessary sugar like high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, food coloring, and pesticides.
Health Benefits of Feeding Your Dog Applesauce
What makes applesauce good for dogs? If you didn’t know already, eating apples by themselves provides you with certain nutrients including dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, and phosphorous.
Here are the other health benefits of applesauce for dogs.
- Applesauce doesn’t contain fat, sodium, or cholesterol.
- It can be used as a low-calorie treat for weight management.
- Contains calcium and phosphorous that promotes bone and tooth health.
- Vitamin A for your dog’s immune system and skin health.
- Has soluble fiber and prebiotic benefits that are good for digestion
- Vitamin C for promoting healthy bones and joints
- Rich in antioxidants that decrease the risk for chronic diseases and certain types of cancer
- Improves brain health
Can Dogs Eat Applesauce for Diarrhea
Yes, you can let your dog eat applesauce to relieve diarrhea. Apples contain a soluble fiber called pectin. The pectin helps feed the beneficial bacteria in the digestive system and prevents the growth of harmful bacteria. As a result, this lowers your cholesterol levels and helps against diarrhea or constipation.
We Think You’ll Like: Can Dogs Drink Gatorade for Treating Dehydration or Diarrhea?
How Much Applesauce Is Good for Dogs
In general, homemade dog treats or just treats should be fed in moderation. Many dogs are at high risk for obesity and this is usually caused by overfeeding them with high-calorie foods including dog treats. Even though unsweetened applesauce or homemade applesauce is low in calories it’s still important to feed your dog applesauce occasionally and not overdo it, otherwise, it can cause stomach issues.
Allow applesauce to only make up 5% of your dog’s diet. As an alternative, feeding your dog fresh apples instead is also recommended. Just make sure to slice them into tiny pieces and allow them to chill in the fridge for a bit. Now, you have a cool treat for your dog for the summer!
Can Dogs With Kidney Failure Eat Applesauce
Feeding applesauce to dogs with kidney disease is not a problem. Since dogs that are suffering from kidney disease usually experience loss of appetite as a symptom, you can use applesauce as a flavor enhancer for their main diet. This may encourage them to eat more because of the added flavor in their food.
Did You Know: Applesauce is also a good way to prevent kidney problems as it helps in purifying toxins from the body.
As dedicated fur parents, we want everything to make our canine companions healthy and happy. And if their happiness comes in the form of a treat like this delicious and highly favorable applesauce, we will give it to them. However, as their responsible parents, it’s essential to remember the limitations of feeding our dog’s applesauce. To sum up, here are the key points of the article:
- Unsweetened applesauce and homemade applesauce are the best kinds of applesauce for dogs!
- Apple has a high nutritional value that can help in your dog’s overall health
- The applesauce should be fed moderately
- It’s easy to make your own homemade applesauce recipe
- Finally, applesauce is both an enjoyable and a healthy treat for dogs
Pro Tip: Never feed puppies large amounts of applesauce because their digestive systems are not yet designed to handle applesauce in large portions. Only feed them in tiny servings. The best age to feed dog applesauce safely is in the adult stage.
We Think You’ll Like: Best Dog Food Toppers